Sunday, June 26, 2011

O wherefore, Nature, didst thou lions frame?

One of the most memorable things about my college life for me are the english poetry classes taught by Mr K Chandramohan. All though I hardly played truant in college, these classes were a great reason to resist such temptation if any. While he taught us a variety of poetry, the most notable of all is the Degree second year class of Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's dream, Merchant of Venice and Julius Caesar.
For me, examination orientation was never focus of these classes, they were a magical way of taking me to context of the poetry as if it was happening in front of me. The sound of the bell marking the end of the class and Mr Chandramohan's style of not even completing the sentence he was speaking and walking away once he hears that was a big disappointment. The only hope was his next class in the next week.
I have quoted some lines from midsummer night's dream below for all Shakespeare aficionados and the blog header takes you to the site which has the complete play. 


Verses 2115 -2150


Sweet Moon, I thank thee for thy sunny beams;
I thank thee, Moon, for shining now so bright;
For, by thy gracious, golden, glittering gleams,
I trust to take of truest Thisby sight.
But stay, O spite!
But mark, poor knight,
What dreadful dole is here!
Eyes, do you see?
How can it be?
O dainty duck! O dear!
Thy mantle good,
What, stain'd with blood!
Approach, ye Furies fell!
O Fates, come, come,
Cut thread and thrum;
Quail, crush, conclude, and quell!



O wherefore, Nature, didst thou lions frame?
Since lion vile hath here deflower'd my dear:
Which is—no, no—which was the fairest dame
That lived, that loved, that liked, that look'd
with cheer.
Come, tears, confound;
Out, sword, and wound
The pap of Pyramus;
Ay, that left pap,
Where heart doth hop:
[Stabs himself]
Thus die I, thus, thus, thus.
Now am I dead,
Now am I fled;
My soul is in the sky:
Tongue, lose thy light;
Moon take thy flight:
[Exit Moonshine]
Now die, die, die, die, die.


1 Comments:

At Friday, March 28, 2014 1:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please return my money

 

Post a Comment

<< Home