Friday, March 03, 2006

Idlis...Dosas.....And Some South Indian Coffee

I had to take time out of my hectic schedule to visit Vijayawada last Sunday. It was important because, I had to meet my sister in law's would be father in law, to agree upon a date for the marriage of their son and my sister in law. I originally planned it to be a one day trip, but my dad insisted that I stay back on Monday to attend some work that is important in view of my house warming ceremony scheduled on March 10th.

Two things that I do with out fail when ever I visit Vijayawada are hair cut and break fast at Executive Rest.

Immediately after I landed up at Vijayawada, I walked down to this barber shop near my place and made myself comfortable in one of the seats. A trim haircut followed by a relaxing head massage, with occasional doses of filmi gossip and enquiries about myself from this guy, Srinivas, whom you see above, made my saloon visit complete. When I finally told him that I wanted to take his picture he was all in smiles.


What followed after a refreshing head bath is my 15 minute ride to this place called Executive Rest. Thanks to Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the road that you see above is a part of the Swarna Chaturbhuji project that he kicked off. Driving on these roads is pleasure on any given day.


Executive Rest was opened way back in 1996. It actually is a part of a club called "Executive Club" and was originally started to cook and serve food to the club members. Later it was made into a restaurant. People flock this place for break fast although, the items are priced quite higher than compared to any other eatery.


Eating Idlis, dumped in a mixture of coconut and ginger chutney with occasional sips from the sambar bowl is a cullinary treat. My good friend Amar Singh keeps pulling my leg asking where I have my Idlis. Amar, did I answer your question?


This is the best of all their menu items, a green gram dosa or "Pesarattu" as it is originally called in AP. It is at its best at Executive Rest, especially with the ginger, green chilli and Jeera seasoning it comes with.


Break fast without Coffee is simply incomplete.

I made sure I visited this place on the second day also. Finally, for all those people who wonder, why food items are frequent topics in my blog, I am just relishing this experience of making one of my passions a reality. So, next time you drive through Vijayawada, you know where to break your fast, right?

1 Comments:

At Saturday, March 04, 2006 7:15:00 PM, Blogger cbrao said...

I remember, this restaurant is nearer to some heart care hospital, in Vijayawada.But babai hotel is more popular to outsiders than this restaurant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home