Friday, December 02, 2005

HR in BPO Industry

My good friend Thakur Amar Singh aka Dr. Munnabhai B.D.S, has posted a comment on my yesterday’s topic.

"Are all distributions of data supposed to be Normal? Or is it that for doing a 'six-sigma' analysis, you need to squeeze every bit of data into a normal distribution."

IIM students undergo a course in statistics and they generally have sound knowledge on the subject. I may not be competent enough to answer his question; however I will attempt to do so.

It is neither required nor supposed for all data distributions to be normal, there are so many other kinds of distributions, geometric, log logarithmic are a couple of examples. Even for doing a Six sigma project, it is not required to squeeze (convert) every bit of data into a normal distribution. There are other techniques and tools one can use to analyze non normal data.

Not very long ago, I had interacted with Progeon (BPO division of Infosys) for a position of Manager - Quality at their Bangalore site. My former boss at ICICI, Ram Mohan K who is an Associate Vice President at Progeon referred me. Although I was selected I didn't join owing to other reasons. Today, I received a mail from their HR co-coordinator asking me to fill out a survey/feedback form on my interaction experience with them. I did fill out and sent it to her.

The interview process with Progeon was a smooth sail; however, I have the following to highlight. My observation is that HR people in BPO industry act funny and different than HR in any other industry. When my cousin who works for Motorola, told me how supportive and wonderful their HR acts in times of need I was surprised why the HR in BPO industry doesn't do that.

In fact, it is my strong opinion that, HR guys in BPO industry generally consider themselves as direct descendents of God or less importantly His messengers. The reason why they are not friendly and why they don't smile is that, when they enter the interview room and sit in front of the interviewee, they suddenly consider themselves as either Marlon Brando or Amitabh Bachchan, listening to a protégé who is in need of a job. They cut a long face which I feel constantly hints the interviewee that the HR guy is not happy hiring him/her. As far as salary negotiations are concerned, the lesser it is talked about, the better it would be. While I understand they have stringent targets, they negotiate as if the company would go bankrupt paying the amount the candidate has asked for; I wonder how they talk while they are negotiating their own salary.

They look perennially unhappy and arrogant mortals. Any clarification that you request is treated as an additional burden to the already existing one (of course you) and hence it is not clarified half of the times. There are so many occasions when my colleagues in the companies that I worked, scorned the HR team for its high handed attitude towards them. Also, I have seen that their attitude and tendency towards senior people in the organizations is different from what they portray to entry level and others.

I had once forwarded a mail to a HR co-coordinator to grant access to the printer room, 15 days have elapsed nothing has happened, then I sent a remainder, even then nothing has happened. In the next mail, I did not ask them to grant the access, I simply asked them what the TAT for such a request is. Needless to say, it was done the same day.

The list is endless, I could go on writing Part I, Part II and so on about HR in BPO industry. When will the HR understand that we are their customers (although internal) and hence they better behave themselves because they are dependent on us. Through this blog of mine I appeal to my BPO brethren that next time you feel your HR is not upto your expectations, remind them that you are thier customer and cane their ass if need be. I will end this with quoting what my feedback about the HR interviewer in Progeon was.

"The HR person who interviewed me behaved like a “typical” HR guy in BPO industry. Somehow, it is rare to find a HR interviewer who sounds friendly and happy. They typically put up a long, serious and unhappy face and generally resonate a feeling that, “you know, but for the operations guys, I wouldn’t want to hire you.”


2 Comments:

At Friday, December 02, 2005 2:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why stop your scope at the H.R in B.P.O firms ?
H.R people in general in India have a rare position of loftiness.

They underperform & get paid for even underperforming.

Simple reason : demand vs supply

They know that for every crappy job opening...they'll have 30-40 applicants. They can afford to act like Kings, sending across wrong signals to the candidates

The H.R function does not do any of the really critical things they SHOULD be doing - retaining people , ensuring job-enrichment.
H.R currently means ONLY- recruitment & compensation management.

Whoa....thats a tiny part of their job. What did they do with the rest ??

 
At Friday, December 02, 2005 9:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you guys make it simple. Its easier to understand if you translate in universal language on ANSI Standards something like:
CURSOR c_emp_c is
-- Active Employees Only
select p.full_name,
p.employee_number,
p.start_date,
a.assignment_id,
a.assignment_number,
a.effective_start_date,
a.effective_end_date,
a.employment_category,
ltrim(rtrim(a.ass_attribute3)) accrual_plan,
p.original_date_of_hire
from per_all_people_f p,
per_all_assignments_f a,
per_person_types ppt
where ppt.person_type_id = p.person_type_id
and ppt.system_person_type in ('EMP', 'EMP_APL')
and p.person_id = a.person_id
and p_effective_date between p.effective_start_date and p.effective_end_date
and p_effective_date between a.effective_start_date and a.effective_end_date
and a.assignment_type = 'E'
-- Check if the p_full_name is passed
and ((p_full_name IS NOT NULL AND
p.full_name = p_full_name
) OR
(p_full_name IS NULL)
)
-- Check if the p_assignment_set is passed
and ((p_assignment_set IS NOT NULL AND
a.assignment_id IN (
SELECT assignment_id
FROM HR_ASSIGNMENT_SETS s,
HR_ASSIGNMENT_SET_AMENDMENTS sa
WHERE s.assignment_set_name=p_assignment_set
and s.assignment_set_id = sa.assignment_set_id
and nvl(sa.INCLUDE_OR_EXCLUDE,'!') = 'I'
)
) OR
(p_assignment_set IS NULL)
)
-- and p.employee_number IN ('4856', -- Lee Anne
-- and a.assignment_id in (2372, 2314, 1997, 1960, 1972, 3022, 1824)
order by 1;

 

Post a Comment

<< Home