Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Spiritual Rambling

I was waiting for a comment to be posted on my blog all of yesterday and finally my wait has been fruitful. An anonymous visitor to my blog has posted a comment asking me where in vedas has it been mentioned not to eat non vegetarian food. He also stated that he is an avid lover of Hyderabadi Biryani, should be my good friend Vikram.

Well, I would try to answer this question with whatever limited understanding that I have with my association with ISKON. In Vaishnava dharma, food is cooked and first offered to Krsna and only later it is consumed. In Bhagavathgeeta, when Arjuna asks Krsna as to what should be offered to Him, Krsna says, "Pathram Pushpam Phalam Thoyam yome bhakthya prayacchathi tad aham bhakthi apahrtham ahsnaami prayatatmonah" which means, Leaf, Fruit, Flower and Water, any of these things can be offered to Me with devotation and the same would be accepted, hence food like meat, fish, egg donot qualify for being offered to Krsna. Secondly, food is basically classified into three categories namely, "Sathwik", "Tamasik" and "Rajasik". Sathwik food is fruits, leafy vegetables, legumes etc. Tamasik and Rajasik food are items like garlic, onion, coffee and tea which stir your hormones, therefore they are avoided. I hope this clarifies.

If I am not overdosing you with spiritual sermons, I would like to narrate a dialogue that I had with one of the Temple devotees.(Temple devotees basically practice brahmacharya and remain in the temple and work for spreading ISKON) During the course of the conversation he was telling me that, Krsna is so benevolent that He would give you whatever is asked, whether good or bad. If you have a tongue for meat and keep eating that in this brith, He will see to it that you are born as a tiger in the next birth, similarly, if you want to live in illusion worshipping false Gods, essentially humans who potray themselves as God, He will give you the best illusion possible.

Finally, in one of the chapters in Bhagavthgeetha, Arjuna asks Krsna as to what is the most beautiful and powerful thing in this universe. Krsna simply replies stating that there isn't a thing in this universe that is more beautiful that Him and there isn't a thing in this world that is more powerful than Him. He adds, incase you find something that is more beautiful or powerful than Krsna (as human beings we are bound to succumb to such illusions) just remember that it is part of Him.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 10:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WBW #15 Round-Up Started
Fatemah has begun the always-daunting task of writing the round-up for Wine Blogging Wednesday #15 . Take a look and learn about some new wines you've probably not seen or heard of.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to georgia highway construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like georgia highway construction!

 
At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 4:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My understanding of the words that you have used-

These are the five characters which are represented by the five fingers

Little Finger -:Sathwik - Character does not eat non-veg (garlic, masala)
Ring Finger -:Manasik - Character eats veg and non veg but all in control
Middle Finger-:Rajasik - only non-veg
Pointer Finger -:Aathma - Innner you.
Short Finger -: Paramathma- God

So when you take 'Thirtham' (holy water), you are confessing by folding ure pointer and short finger to imbibe one of these characters with athma and paramathma.

So, you can take any food is the point I am trying to prove.

Ok, you might also say that, to kill other living beings is inhuman. two answers

Who knows plants doesn't experience pain while you chop them, may be JC Bose's son would come up with this discovery ( I prefer to call this discovery). He might say that 'My father said that there is life in plants and I would also like to say that plants do have emotions,reactions,pain,suffering"

And the most unhappy man about this concept would be Charles Darwin. The ecological balance gets disturbed.

I don't want to see -PALEOZOIC ERA, MESOZOIC ERA,( 255 MILLION YRS AGO) AGE OF REPTILES

So now you must have realized how good I am as a human being. I have determined myself to save the mankind by not disturbing the ecological balance though I have liking for veg stuff....hahahahah


Note : please don't take this as an altacation, argument or condemning, it is just an opinion.

Thanks & Regards,
Vinod Reddy

 
At Tuesday, November 08, 2005 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Ritesh Garg said...

Nice Blog Man!!
Just before you started the topic, I was debating with my friend over the same issue. I am a pure vegan and he's pure non-vegetarian. Then it strike me if we are by birth vegetarian or non-vegetarians. I remeber reading it somewhere that our digestive system support vegetarian food digestion. However we have suppressed canine teeth (which dog,tiger and other flesh eating mammals have) which supports the theory of man being flesh eating.
Commenting on Vinod Reddy's justification of killing animals cause we are waiting for the "discovery" if pain is felt or not by plants. My question is: does this give right to human being's to kill an animals, to satisfy its taste buds, when we are dead sure that they do feel pain. Why do we humans make a hue and cry over killing another human. We got laws to protect humans, and we leave animals to gods pity. Havent we already damaging the ecosystem by our uncontrolled birth!! (Hey Ravi, why not pick uncontrolled birth as your next blog ... !!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home